Pollution Control


contact wendage

Contact Wendage

Tel: 0800 17 44 30



Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I need to Service my Sewage Treatment System?

Rather like cars, sewage treatment systems require a regular service to maintain optimum performance and to prevent break downs.  Without a regular service the performance of the system is likely to deteriorate over time and foreshorten the overall life of the system - leading to the need to replace it completely in some cases.  Failure to maintain the system will also negate some manufacturer warranties.

If the system fails completely you may not be able to flush your toilets or use your showers, baths, washing machines or dishwashers etc. until an emergency repair has been completed.

All of this can be avoided by having the system serviced regularly.

Planned professional servicing by a British Water Accredited Service Engineer from Wendage Pollution Control Ltd makes sense for the smooth running of your home life and your business.

  • Maintain optimal functioning and ensure the system meets is discharge permits
  • Prevent pollution and the potential fines and clean-up costs for polluting
  • Uninterrupted use of your toilets, showers, baths, dishwashers and washing machines
  • Minimise unnecessary damage to parts so reducing lifetime operating costs

As part of the scheduled service our Service Engineer will inspect the whole system to ensure all parts whether mechanical or electrical are working and are performing well.  Effluent quality will be checked as will the system fluid levels so when needed, a tanker is organised.  We provide a complete service so you can enjoy total peace of mind.

What are the General Binding Rules?

General Binding Rules came into effect for small sewage discharges from septic tanks and sewage treatment plants on 1st January 2015. Owners of Septic Tank's which discharge to a watercourse need to take action by 1st January 2020 to remain compliant with environmental regulations. For more information on your obligations please read our Guidance on General Binding Rules and for more information on how we can help, visit our Septic Tanks 2020 regulations web page.

I’m about to install a new sewage treatment system - where can I find systems which comply with the current British and European Standards – EN12566 or EN12255?

Here at Wendage Pollution Control Ltd., we supply and supply and install sewage treatment systems which comply with EN 12566-3 (below 50 PE) or EN 12255 (above 50 PE) so you can be assured of their quality and performance. EN12566 and EN12255 are both British and European Standards.

I am a landlord - what are my responsibilities?

You should ensure tenants are aware the property has a septic tank or sewage treatment system.  For the continued good performance of the system you should make sure the tenant understands the maintenance requirements, can spot if there is a problem and knows who to contact in the event a repair or empty is needed.  You could provide tenants with information to help keep your system problem free - by downloading this ‘Dos and Don’ts Users Guide ‘.

It also makes sense to make it clear who is responsible for paying for the maintenance, emptying and repair of the system during the tenancy.

I am a tenant - what are my responsibilities?

Even though you don’t own the septic tank or sewage treatment system which services the property you are living in, you still have a responsibility to look after the system to prevent malfunction and pollution.  Remember if the system fails it will affect your ability to use the toilets, washing machines etc. in your home.  This helpful ‘Dos and Don’ts Users Guide‘ provides information on how to avoid system failures through mis-use.

It is a good idea before you sign a tenancy agreement to clarify who has responsibility for organising the maintenance, repair and emptying of the system during your tenancy and who pays for this.

I’m selling my property - what should I make available to the new owners?

You should ensure prospective owners are aware that the property uses an off mains sewage system.  When it comes to resale, the service history is as important for a sewage treatment system as it is for a vehicle. The purchaser's solicitor will ask for it and having it will reassure the new owner the system has been properly maintained and is non-polluting.  Give the new owners the details of your current Wendage Service Agreement and let us know that you are moving out so that we can coordinate the handover and maintain the continuity of care. If your property has a Septic Tank rather than a sewage treatment system you may need to take steps to bring it into compliance with the General Binding Rules prior to sale. Contact us on 0800 17 44 30 for guidance and advice. 

I’m buying a property - what should I ask for if it has a septic tank or sewage treatment system?

You will need written confirmation of whether the property has a Septic Tank or a packaged sewage treatment system. If the property has a Septic Tank you should ensure it complies with the 1st January 2020 regulations under the General Binding Rules. If it has a packaged sewage treatment system you should ask for its service history so that you know it has been properly maintained over the years. 

For peace of mind you may arrange with the current owners to have the system checked prior to purchase so that you have a full report on its condition and likely future maintenance costs.  Wendage Pollution Control is able to offer this service and would be pleased to discuss this with you. Contact us on 0800 17 44 30 for guidance and advice.

Frequently Asked Questions

Servicing & Repairs

service and repairsFull maintenance for any make of sewage treatment plant or pumping station

Read more ...


green sewage treatment plantWe design and install bespoke sewage treatment systems

Read more ...

Emptying / Desludging

tank emptying desludgingBook a tanker to empty your septic tank or sewage treatment plant now!

Read more ...

Commercial Solutions

Site vists and surveysFull design & specification service for large scale water projects.

Read more ...